Saturday, August 05, 2006

Arachnophobia


A couple weeks ago while digging in the garage for some unimportant item, I noticed little baby spiders running around. "Oh great!" When we first moved in, I noticed we had spiders in the house that looked alot like black widows. Luckily, after some research, I discovered that they were common house spiders, that are just related to black widow. I had NEVER seen these before now! We bought a large jug of spider spray and I soaked the windows and doorways. Things calmed down quite a bit in the spider department. I've found several of these big spiders in the garage as well. 3 nights this week as I've gone to lock the back door at night, I turned to see the BIGGEST FREAKIN' SPIDER EVER on the wall by the stairs.

Each night I drag the spider spray down, and give the creepy crawly a nice fatal bath. When the spider died, I put the body into a small garbage can downstairs... I'm getting quite a collection of HUGE spider bodies in there. I went out to our garage today to bring in one of my exercise machines, and as soon as I opened the door I was attacked by spider webs. I'm glad that's all it was. We've already made the decision to bug bomb the garage before we move again, but when I walked in there, I made the decision to do it much sooner. Again I saw a handful of baby spiders scatter, and just to my left was a large box with Gavin's old crib bedding in it... On the side of that box was 2 very lovely egg sacks. I ran in the house for my beloved spider spray again and I soaked them! After further inspection, I found another HUGE yet already dead spider just below the egg sacks. They look like wolf spiders, but I already know that wolf spiders don't have webs! As I got the exercise machine through the door, I turned to close the door and saw a jumping spider just above the frame. I couldn't reach it to smash it so I again brought out the spider spray. I'll squish the little ones, but I wont go anywhere near the monster ones!

While I was putting Bug to bed tonight, she started screaming that she saw a spider. Sure enough there was another jumping spider just under her window. I killed the beast and flushed it down the toilet. After I ventured down stairs to murder yet another monster on the wall, I decided to walk around the basement and respray all the windows and cracks. I walked around the corner only to be greated by a much smaller and not so scary spider. I killed that one too and by now I was getting pretty frustrated. I noticed that I had a growing pile of dirty laundry on the floor. "Well I'm already down here, I might as well do my wash..." I picked up each item very carefully, knowing quite well that clothes are a favorite hiding place for creepy crawlies.

I almost escaped without incident when I picked up an item of clothing and saw a small dead spider. Yuck. The next item revealed an earwig. Okay not so bad... Oh wait, there it is. ANOTHER SPIDER. It was a small and very fast spider, not sure what kind. He got away. Lucky sucker!!!

No comments: