Saturday, April 06, 2013

Utah's Ghosts

          The kids were gone this weekend, so Jeff and I decided to get out of the house too. We headed up to Tooele county and visited Ophir and Mercur. I gotta say I'm really disappointed with both. Ophir is a semi-ghost, and everything is posted "NO TRESPASSING!" They did have a couple little displays set up though, and a few of the old homesteads and mine equipment still exist. I did manage to catch a ghost on camera though!

Mercur is gone. I thought I had been up there before, but I guess not, because as of 1983 it has been closed down. All of the houses were destroyed and it's now owned and operated as a gold mine only and is completely off limits. All that remains is the old Mercur cemetery. The last burial was 1915, but none of the graves have headstones. Well okay let me rephrase. They have headstones, but it's literally just a large stone. No writing to indicate who is buried where. Someone has built wooden fences around some of the graves, but the rest are only outlined with stones. There was one stone, for a child's grave that had writing on it at one time, but the stone is so broken that all you can read now is "Beloved".
 
Even though the ghost towns were a bust, we still had a nice day. It was great to get out of the house, and Ophir really was cool. I only took a few pictures, because like I said, there were "No Trespassing" signs on most of the old buildings and those don't look good in pictures.

 Ophir
 Ophir
 Mercur Cemetery
Mercur Cemetery 
Love at Mercur Cemetery
More Love For Mercur
 Mercur Cemetery
 Ophir




No comments: